Dr.-Ing. Ursula Rasthofer
- since 03/2015 Research Associate
Computational Science and Engineering Laboratory (Head: Prof. Dr. Petros Koumoutsakos)
Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich (ETH Zürich), Switzerland
- 01/2012 – 02/2015 Research Associate
Institute for Computational Mechanics (Head: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Wolfgang A. Wall)
Technische Universität München (TUM), Germany
- 10/2009 – 12/2011 Research Associate
Emmy Noether Research Group "Computational multiscale methods for turbulent combustion in complex geometries" (Head: Dr.-Ing. Volker Gravemeier) hosted at the Institute for Computational Mechanics
Technische Universität München, Germany
- 06/2015 Doktor-Ingenieur (Dr.-Ing) (Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering), Technische Universität München, German
- 09/2009 Diplom-Ingenieur (Dipl.-Ing. Univ.) Luft- und Raumfahrt (Diploma in Aeronautics and Aerospace), Technische Universität München, Germany
- 10/2004-09/2009 Diploma Studies Aeronautics and Aerospace, Technische Universität München, Germany
- Computational fluid dynamics: Large-eddy and direct numerical simulation, coupled problems, high performance parallel computing, software development
- Physics of fluids: Turbulent flows, two-fluid and multiphase flows, incompressible and compressible flows, variable-density flows, scalar transport, cavitation
- Numerical methods and techniques: Variational multiscale method, (extended) finite element method, finite volume method, level-set method, diffuse interface method
- High Performance Computing for Science and Engineering 1, Teaching Assistant, fall term 2015 and 2016, ETH Zürich
- Engineering Tool 3: Object-oriented programming with C++, Hands-on Exercises, spring term 2016, ETH Zürich
- Engineering Mechanics 3 – Dynamics (Technische Mechanik 3 – Dynamik):
Exercises and Tutorials (undergraduate course on structural mechanics), winter term 2009/10, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Technische Universität München
- Articles in Peer-Reviewed International Journals
 B. Schott*, U. Rasthofer*(*co-first authorship), V. Gravemeier, W.A. Wall, A face-oriented stabilized Nitsche-type extended variational multiscale method for incompressible two-phase flow, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 104(7) (2015) 721-748.
 U. Rasthofer, G.C. Burton, W.A. Wall, V. Gravemeier, An algebraic variational multiscale-multigrid-multifractal method (AVM4) for large-eddy simulation of turbulent variable-density flow at low Mach number, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids 76(7) (2014) 416-449.
 U. Rasthofer, G.C. Burton, W.A. Wall, V. Gravemeier, Multifractal subgrid-scale modeling within a variational multiscale method for large-eddy simulation of passive-scalar mixing in turbulent flow at low and high Schmidt numbers, Physics of Fluids 26 (2014) 055108.
 U. Rasthofer, V. Gravemeier, Multifractal subgrid-scale modeling within a variational multiscale method for large-eddy simulation of turbulent flow, Journal of Computational Physics 234 (2013) 79-107.
 U. Rasthofer, F. Henke, W.A. Wall, V. Gravemeier, An extended residual-based variational multiscale method for two-phase flow including surface tension, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 200 (2011) 1866-1876.
- Reviewed Conference Proceedings and Book Contributions
 P. Hadjidoukas, D. Rossinelli, F. Wermelinger, J. Šukys, U. Rasthofer, C. Conti, B. Hejazialhosseini, P. Koumoutsakos, High throughput simulations of two-phase flows on BlueGene/Q., in: Advances in Parallel Computing, Volume 27: Parallel Computing: On the Road to Exascale, G. R. Joubert et al. (Eds.), pp. 767-776, IOS Press, 2016.
 V. Gravemeier, U. Rasthofer, A variational multiscale method with multifractal subgrid-scale modeling for large-eddy simulation of turbulent flow, in: Proceedings of the European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering (ECCOMAS 2012), J. Eberhardtsteiner et al. (Eds.), Vienna, Austria, September 10-14, 2012
- Conference Proceedings
 V. Gravemeier, U. Rasthofer, A variational multiscale method with multifractal subgrid-scale modeling for large-eddy simulation of turbulent flow, in: Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics (WCCM X), Sao Paulo, Brazil, July 8-13, 2012.
- Other Articles
 U. Rasthofer, V. Gravemeier, W.A. Wall, Multifractal, multigrid, multiscale: Large-eddy simulation by “multi-“ to the power of three, ECCOMAS Newsletter, December 2014, pp. 12-15.
- Collapse dynamics of cavitating bubble clouds by large scale simulation, 11th European Fluid Mechanics Conference (EFMC11), Seville, Spain, September 12-16, 2016.
- An HPC framework for Bayesian uncertainty quantification of flows across scales, 24th International Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (ICTAM16), Montreal, Canada, August 21-26, 2016.
- Computational multiscale methods for turbulent single and two-phase flows, European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering (ECCOMAS 2016), Crete, Greece, June 5-10, 2016.
- Large scale simulation of cloud cavitation collapse, 4th Cavitation Workshop, Crete, Greece, May 30-June 1, 2016.
- An extended algebraic variational multiscale-multigrid-multifractal method for large-eddy simulation of turbulent two-phase flow, 10th International Workshop on Variational Multiscale and Stabilized Finite Elements (VMS 2015), Garching, Germany, February 25-27, 2015.
- Multifractal subgrid-scale modeling within a variational multiscale method for large-eddy simulation of turbulent flow including passive and active-scalar transport, 16. STAB Workshop, Göttingen, Germany, November 12-13, 2013.
- Large-eddy simulation of turbulent flow including passive and active-scalar transport by a multiscale-multifractal method, Advances in Computational Mechanics with Special Track Finite Elements in Flow Problems (FEF 2013), San Diego, USA, February 24-27, 2013.
- A variational multiscale method with multifractal subgrid-scale modeling for large-eddy simulation of turbulent flow, 24th International Conference on Parallel Computational Fluid Dynamics (ParCFD), Atlanta, USA, May 21-25, 2012.
- An extended variational multiscale finite element method for two-phase flow, 4th GACM Colloquium on Computational Mechanics, Dresden, Germany, August 31-September 2, 2011.
- An extended variational multiscale finite element method for two-phase flow, 8th Euromech Fluid Mechanics Conference (EFMC8), Bad Reichenhall, Germany, September 13-16, 2010.